With great power,comes great ability

Friday, June 1, 2007

How to Snap Out of That Nasty Slump!

I am a Chicago White Sox fan, and have been all my life, though I left the Windy City many moons ago.
I rejoiced when they won the World Series in 2005, though I wasn't very impressed with Manager Ozzie Guillen.
Now that the Sox are in their second slumping season in a row, I think Guillen's weaknesses are showing.

But today I read something very, very smart that he just told his players.
Before I get to his message, let me review the two main schools of thought when it comes to success and one's work ethic:
(1) "Do less and get more." This was epitomized by Joe Karbo's famous book, "The Lazy Man's Way to Riches." In effect, it says winners win because they work smart.
(2) "Do more and get more." Followers of this philosophy believe in "Early to bed, and early to rise" and "The harder I work, the luckier I get."
I bring up these success paths because both of them can work, which I have always found very puzzling.

For example, some of my consulting clients are great strategists and they definitely work smart while not exhausting themselves.
Others believe they are shirking their responsibilities if they aren't putting in 12-hour days, 6 or more days per week.
But here's Ozzie Guillen's advice, which oddly, seems to bridge the competing belief systems.
After they lost three in a row, he advised his slumping Sox to: "Try less or try harder."
Just "don't do the same thing"!
Call it baseball logic, but it rings true. If you keep doing what you've done you'll keep getting the results you've gotten.

Something has to change.
My dad was a firm believer in relaxing your way to success, in baseball and in his work. "Don't press, ease off a bit," he counseled.
Sometimes that was sage advice. It snapped more than one slump.
But I can also remember storming up to the plate to redeem my forlorn team and ripping the leather off the ball.
Take your pick, or alternate to find your groove.
In the meantime, I'm looking forward to hearing Guillen's next gem!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home